City of Winchester Missouri

City of Winchester, MO - Minimum Housing Code

The minimum Housing Code for the City of Winchester requires that all property in the City be inspected and approved by the City's designated Building Inspector each and every time occupancy and/or ownership changes.  Therefore, should you decide to rent, sell your home or move out and have other family members move in, a Housing Inspection must be successfully completed. 

The City currently contracts with the City of Ballwin for housing inspection services.  The homeowner or his agent may complete a Housing Inspection application at Ballwin City Hall, #1 Government Center, pay their fee and schedule an inspection. 

The new occupants must obtain an Occupancy Permit from Winchester City Hall before moving into their home.  Upon application, new residents are given useful information concerning their residency in Winchester.  An occupancy permit is a simple one-page form listing contact information and the occupants of the home. 

Housing Inspection Fee:  $125.00 (Payable to the City of Ballwin)
Occupancy Permit Fee:    $10.00 (Cash or check payable to City of Winchester)

BUILDING PERMIT REGULATIONS_____________________________________________________________

Play it safe and check with City Hall before you start that residential or commercial improvement project. Permits may be required for many projects (permit authorization forms must be displayed prior to the beginning of construction) including:

New home construction Home additions
Re-hab existing structures Patio covers
Retaining walls over 2 ft. Glass enclosures
Excavations Monuments
Sheds Demolitions
Garage/carports and/or Decks
garage/carport additions Pools & hot tubs
Basement finishing or Fences
  remodeling Signs

In addition, St. Louis County requires the issuing and displaying of permits for the following projects (prior to starting work):

Plumbing Mechanical      Electrical
Demolition Explosives       Weights & measures
Water/sewer connection    

Winchester contracts with Ballwin to process building permits.  Bulding Permit Application forms are available from Ballwin City Hall.  They are intended to help you determine which items need to be done and in what order. 

If you are planning to apply for a Building Permit for your home, you should consider that both West County EMS & Fire Protection District and Metro West Fire District can require permits for all new construction, remodeling, additions and all fireplaces, including wood burning stoves.  Please contact the Fire District in which you reside for their requirements.

BUILDING PERMIT COST - The fee for a building permit depends upon the type of project, the number of inspections required, and the cost of the project.  A certificate of insurance or construction bond may also be required. 
Reminder:  Municipal Code stipulates that building permit fees are doubled if work begins before a permit is secured. 

PERMIT DEPOSIT - Residential and commercial permit applications require a non-refundable deposit.  Upon Building Department approval of your application, the deposit will be credited to the actual cost of your permit.